Aftercare program is offered to residents who have successfully completed the
MDH Intensive Substance Abuse Treatment Program. The Aftercare program consists
of one-hour individual weekly counselling sessions utilizing the Structured
Relapse Prevention (SRP) model developed by the Addiction Research Foundation.
Based on social learning theory, SRP counselling is a cognitive-behavioural
approach, designed to enable persons to gain more control over their alcohol
or drug use.
Counselling sessions focus on engaging
- assess their goals and commitment to change
- design an individually-tailored treatment plan
- identify their strengths and resources
- learn to anticipate their triggers to alcohol or drug use and develop
alternative ways of coping
- make connections between their alcohol and drug use and other life
- ultimately, become their own therapist - by anticipating risk situations
and pre-planning coping strategies.